Full-time; 40 hours per week.
The Bookkeeper performs accounting and administrative duties for The Lighthouse. This includes payroll duties, accounts payable and receivable, maintaining customer lists, preparing bank deposits, finalizing shelter billing reports, preparing financial reports, and other duties as required. The Bookkeeper must have strong time management skills, and the ability to work independently to meet deadlines.
- Strong Bookkeeping and Accounting Skills
- Time Management
- Adaptability and Flexibility
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Accountability and Dependability
- Planning and Organizing
- Detail Oriented
- Written and Verbal Communication
- Self-Motivation and Drive
- Team Work
- Payroll duties: enters new employee information; enter hours worked; calculates stat hours; confirms overtime hours worked with managers of staff; calculates vacation pay; prepares direct deposit paycheques and pay stubs (mid-month and end of month cheques); at end of employment prepares termination letter (if required by management), prepares termination cheque, prepares and submits record of employment
- Accounts payable: enters all invoices received into the correct categories; prepares cheques for payment in a timely manner; enters data for invoices that have preauthorized debits
- Accounts receivable: enter invoices for client rent payments for suites, tower and dorm residents. Processes cheques and/or direct deposits received for rents. Prepares A/R summary reports for outstanding rents to be forwarded to Front Line Manager, Operations Manager, and Executive Director, including security deposit claims and bad debt claims
- Customer list: maintains an accurate list of clients in our facilities for billing purposes; enters information of name, date arrived, security deposit guarantee or damage deposit info, monthly rent, and enters details of monthly invoices into memorized transaction list. Removes individual from lists once tenant has left
- Reconciliations: prepares bank reconciliations and account reconciliations for all accounts, including charge cards, bank accounts, etc. Prepares all deposits and take to the bank(s)
- Group benefits: deduct group benefit premiums and remit payment to benefits provider. Along with HR Manager meets with group benefits representatives to review package annually and discuss any new benefits available and/or needed
- Donations: deposit donations and give copies of back-up info to Fundraising department for donor receipt preparation
- Shelter billings: provide Front Line Manager with self-pay shelter billings and then finalize shelter billing report and statistical summary for submission to Ministry of Social Services
- Audit: prepare year-end audit; compile documents for review by auditor; all work associated with compiling and presenting audit except for year-end journal entries which are created by Executive Director
- Report preparation: various budget reports as required by Executive Director and department managers
- GST Remittance: enter all GST transactions and prepare back up info to prepare quarterly GST remittance
- Grants: compile back-up data for grant final (or mid-term) reporting as required by granting agencies
- Office supply orders: order and distribute office supplies as needed
- Degree, diploma or certificate in business, accounting, bookkeeping preferred
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles
- Strong computer skills, including effective working skills of Quick Books, Microsoft Word, Excel and E-mail
- Strong morals and ethics, along with a commitment to privacy and confidentiality
- Strong mathematical skills
- Good organizational, time management and prioritizing skills
- Proven critical thinking and decision making skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Primarily day-time, weekday hours
- Interacts with residents, staff, partners, as well as government/community agencies and personnel.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals
- Typically works a standard work week. May be required to work overtime during busy times of the year
- Majority of time is spent in an office environment. Light lifting of materials and supplies may also be required.
Submit resume & cover letter to Raeleen Viklund, Human Resource Manager, by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 306-665-7773. No phone calls or drop-offs, please. Position will be filled when a suitable candidate is found.