Position Details: This is an eight-week summer term position, for 35 hours per week (total of 280 hours). There are two positions available.
To be eligible to apply, candidates must meet the following criteria(as per the Canada Summer Jobs Program):
a) be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
b) be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
c) have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
Note: International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada.
The Maintenance/Janitorial Worker will be responsible for performing general building and property maintenance. The Maintenance/Janitorial Worker shall also be responsible for keeping buildings in clean and orderly condition, and will perform heavy cleaning duties, washing walls and glass, and removing rubbish as required. Additional duties may include performing routine maintenance activities, notifying management of need for repairs, and cleaning snow or debris from sidewalks. The Maintenance/Janitorial Worker shall ensure that the grounds are maintained appropriately.
- Service orientation
- Planning and organizing
- Critical thinking
- Ability to multi-task
- Interpersonal skills
- Perform general maintenance of all facilities
- Comply with Health and Safety and WHMIS requirements for Personal Protective Equipment
- Respond to client requests for maintenance in rooms that have been logged
- Perform regular property inspections of the buildings including common areas, building exterior, and landscape
- Collect and dispose of all garbage and recyclables
- Clean light fixtures and change light bulbs/tubes
- Perform minor repairs on windows, doors, switches, desks, tables, plugs, equipment, appliances, sinks, toilets, blinds, etc.
- Responsible for vandalism clean up and repair, within skill level
- Maintain heating and air conditioning systems, boilers, pumps, fan units, control panels, thermostats, cooling towers, etc.
- Maintain working knowledge of environmental safeguards and alarm systems
- Maintain fire alarms and extinguishers
- Prepare and set up rooms for meetings, parties, or various other activities and help with clean up afterwards
- Maintain outside grounds (remove snow, ice, and debris; spray and remove weeds; sweep and clean)
- Use a variety of hand and power tools, electric meters and material handling equipment in performing duties
- Detect faulty operations or defective materials and report those and any unusual situations to proper supervisor
- Prepare, paint and decorate interior and exterior surfaces, as required
- Perform all other duties as assigned or needed
- Any combination of education, training and experience which demonstrates ability to perform the duties and responsibilities as described
- Familiarity with general maintenance and ability to perform wide variety of maintenance duties
- Pesticide Applicator License, or willingness to obtain
- Willingness to obtain additional training as needed
- Fluent in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word; ability to build spreadsheets and do data entry
- Fluent in English (verbal and written)
- WHMIS 2015 training would be an asset
- Valid driver’s license
- Various indoor and outdoor weather conditions
- May be exposed to infectious waste, diseases, conditions
- May come into contact with a variety of pests
- Interact with management, colleagues and public
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Must be able to lift, push, pull and move a minimum of 75 pounds
Please submit resume & cover letter to Human Resources at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 306-665-7773. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.