Our shelter rules
No one likes rules but when our new affordable housing suites open up this fall, there will be almost 200 people in the building some nights. To keep a sense of order, we have the following rules based on the notion of respect. Respect for each other’s space, respect of other residents and staff, and respect for the facility. You can read more about them here.
- All residents are expected to take care of their funding, whether it is provided by the Ministry of Social Services, the Salvation Army, or some other source. If for some reason there is a problem with obtaining funding, residents need to come and talk to the staff who will help them with a course of action.
- Weapons will not be allowed on the property. Objects determined by staff to be weapons will be confiscated.
- No drugs or alcohol are allowed in or around the building.
- The use of drugs and/or alcohol is grounds for immediate eviction.
- Residents are responsible for doing their own laundry. Laundry machine usage and soap is provided free of charge. There is a sign-up sheet at the front desk.
- No abuse of staff, visitors, residents, or property will be tolerated. Threatening or violent behaviour towards others or the property will not be tolerated.
- Bullying of any type will not be tolerated.
- No pornography allowed in the building.
- All medication is to be stored at the front desk.
- The front desk is locked at 11PM. If returning after 11PM, you will have to enter via the security doors.
- No disturbing the peace, at any time.
- Derogatory comments regarding race, creed, colour, ethnic background, religion, or sexuality will not be tolerated.
- Meal times are set and Residents are responsible to be on time.
- Saved suppers are for those attending: appointments, school, or work.
- No dishes are allowed out of the dining room.
- All residents are subject to random drug and/or alcohol testing.
- The shelter is open from 7:00PM until 9:00AM.
- Lights out is at 11:00PM.
- Residents are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that is acceptable to the community.
- No bags or personal belongings other than what are needed that night are allowed into the shelters. Belongings are to be kept in our locked (and on camera) storage room.
- All belongings left in the storage room will be left for seven days, any left past that period will be considered a donation, and treated as such.
- No food or drink is allowed in the shelter.
- Residents are expected to maintain a acceptable level of personal hygiene.
- Residents are expected to comply with all existing policies and with new policies as implemented.
The goal of the rules is to ensure that everyone is safe, comfortable, and have the opportunity to make the most out of a bad situation. If you have any questions about any of these rules, let Chris Powell know, our Housing Plus manager know at 306.653.0538 or email him at email@example.com.